Back in 2001, legendary game producer The Bitmap Brothers released a 3D update to their futuristic Real Time Strategy war game Z with Steel Soldiers. Well Things have moved on a little since then and what was once pretty tasty in the 3D hardware department has now been well and truly bettered even in mobile 3D, and TickTock Games have given Z:SS modern makeover with a special release just for nVidia Tegra(and others to follow.)
The game has been given a nice modern 3D refresh with better textures, more detailed models and a generally more populated and richer environment with more intelligent AI and as such feels like a modern RTS rather than a clunky tarted up 13 year old game, and the Tegra specific version currently available seems so far to play rather nicely on my Tegra 3 2012 Nexus 7 and shall be getting properly stuck into it as soon as I hit publish on this.
Comparisons of new to original(inset) graphics
Check out http://steamcommunity.com/app/275510/images/ for hi res versions and more comparisons of the new update compared to the originals
- 30 Distinct, lush levels spread across 6 unique worlds.
- Air, ground and sea units ranging from WW2 based vehicles through to modern jet fighters.
- Significantly enhanced 3D Graphics packed full of scalable features such as reflections and particle systems providing intense and rich landscapes.
- Real-time environment forces, both local and world forces affect the environment to such detail that even plumes of smoke are split as helicopters come soaring through.
- 9 different robots each with unique abilities.
- Revolutionary fast-resource style gameplay; The more territories you take, the larger the resource ‘flag’ in that territory and the faster and more you can build; leaving you to deal with the real objective – all-out warfare!
- Our most advanced AI yet, that will stop at nothing to rid the universe of Zod and his band of space renegades...
Available tomorrow on Steam is the PC version, so for those that want to kick robotic ass make sure to check out that version as well.
Play store (nvidia tegra only version for now)
Steam Win Vista and up (from 1st August)
iOS and non-Tegra Android coming soon.