Brad Harding has just released version 1.5.1 of DOOM RETRO, a classic, refined DOOM source port for Windows PC. This version although just a small point release has numerous bug fixes and a number of improvements, such as performance optimizations, a splash screen and more. In regards to 1.5.0 that was the bigger release as it had an almost countless number of tweaks and optimizations, and a set of bloody effects that hopefully didn't come across as too “brutal”.
v1.5.1 change log :
It may be downloaded here. This is a small point release and the changes are as follows: ( Doom required)
- A splash screen is now displayed briefly when DOOM RETRO is opened.
- Several optimizations have been made to improve DOOM RETRO’s overall performance and reduce the size of its executable.
- DOOM RETRO is now back to using the desktop resolution by default.
- If doom2.wad is selected by itself in the WAD launcher, nerve.wad will be automatically loaded if it’s in the same folder, and Hell on Earth will be preselected in the expansion menu. If nerve.wad is selected by itself, No Rest for the Living will be preselected instead.
- The DOOMWADDIR environment variable is now checked when automatically looking for IWAD files.
- No longer is anything output to the stdout.txt and stderr.txt files generated by SDL.
- A bug has been fixed whereby sometimes the press of a mouse button would register twice in a menu.
- The PAUSE key is now disabled on the title screen.
- The limit on the length of music in PWADs has been removed.
- A bug has been fixed whereby a crash would occur when changing to some levels.
- The sounds heard when selecting a skill level to start a new game, and using the IDCLEVxycheat, will no longer be cut off.
- In Vanilla DOOM, when a game is saved, all monsters would lose their targets. This has now been changed so that if a monster has a target when a game is saved, when that game is then loaded, they will target the player.
- A bug has been fixed whereby the player could still switch to their fist even though they had a chainsaw if they had the berserk power-up in the previous map.
- A bug present in Vanilla DOOM has been fixed whereby the player’s fist would be selected at the start of a map even though they had a chainsaw and a berserk power-up in the previous map.
- doomretro.wad is no longer renamed to doomretro.wad.temp while the WAD launcher is open.
- Each time the player switches to their fist while they have the berserk power-up, the power-up sound will now be heard.
- The red palette effect of the berserk power-up is now slightly redder.
- Palette effects will no longer be displayed while a menu is on the screen, or while the player is dead.
- The player’s view will now lower if they happen to die while on top of something else.
- Further improvements have been made to how custom menu graphics from PWADs are displayed.
- DOOM RETRO will no longer crash if the player walks over a very deep hole.
- The intensity of the vibration effect for XInput-compatible controllers when the player fires a weapon or is injured has been increased. Previously, the effect on the Logitech F710 controller could barely be felt.