Professional artist and hobbyist game developer TJ Townsend has launched a Kickstarter to back his passion project, the awesome looking Pythetron. A 2.5D side scrolling shoot em up with all the hallmarks of the best. Bullet storms, big weapons, a bazillion enemies fast action and lots of glowing particle effects!! TJ is taking a modern 3D engine to the classic side scrolling shooter territory, with a modern twist.
TJ is looking to build speed running right into the fabric of Pythetron with a variable game speed as a core feature and mechanic.
The main features are:
- Gameplay exists solely on a 2d plane
- Visually compelling 3d backgrounds and environments
- 7.1 surround sound compatible
- Crazy smooth motion using a high tech modern physics engine
- Dynamically scalable graphics that look great on modern PCs and even better on a gaming rig
- A vast game world to explore with many themes and cleverly designed levels
- Customize your ship to make your ultimate machine of destruction
- 11 elaborate boss battles
- Replayable levels that feel totally new when you use speed techniques
- 1080p 60fps on any modern graphics card and most older cards
- Massive weapons - Who doesn’t like watching their ship go from a pea shooter to a machine of total destruction?
- Easy to master controls - Keep it simple. You can move, you can accelerate, and you can shoot.
- Lots of enemies - Explosions and destruction are therapeutic.
The new mechanics...
- Colorful high contrast environments - With so much going on, you need to be able to see. A key obstacle to overcome in this genre.
- Pace controlled by player - See how fast you can blaze through each level, earning more points and unlocking more levels.
- Lots of permanent upgrades - Earn money and buy dozens of upgrades including several different weapon upgrade paths.
- Shorter replayable levels with unlimited lives - More rewarding difficulty without all the frustration of backtracking several minutes of gameplay.
- Longer overall gameplay with saves - With more levels, organized in a non-linear manner, the player can feel open to discover their own path.
Pythetron Looks simply awesome and absolutely screams SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY and if it doesn't get funded there's quite simply something fundamentally broken with gamers today.
Go fund it at kickstarter (playable demo available Win, Mac, Linux)