Brad Harding has just released version 1.4.2 of DOOM RETRO, a classic, refined DOOM source port for Windows PC. This version has many bug fixes and enhancements, such as 640×400 resolution, wide screen mode with huds up display, more blood splats and much much more. A highly recommended source port of the original bloody thirsty classic!
- Several more limits have been removed, allowing larger and more detailed maps to be loaded without crashing.
- DOOM RETRO will now try to fix some common map errors before loading a map.
- Optimizations have been made to the loading of large levels, and the handling of gamepads.
- The smoke trails of the player’s and Cyberdemon’s rockets can now be disabled by setting smoketrails to false in doomretro.cfg. It is true by default.
- The limit on the size of savegames has been removed, allowing the game to be saved on larger maps without exiting with an error.
- Several changes have been made to the HUD:
- The HUD is now displayed in non-widescreen modes.
- The drop shadows of the numbers in the HUD are now slightly lighter.
- The HUD has been shifted downwards slightly.
- Values in the HUD will now start flashing at 20 (rather than 10), and the speed at which they flash will increase the closer they get to 0.
- When the player is invulnerable, only the red part of the medikit turns gold, and not the health value.
- Keys are no longer seen to disappear from the HUD before wiping the screen when using the IDCLEVxy cheat to warp to a new map.
- The positions of blood splats are now randomized better.
- A memory leak has been fixed when loading a savegame.
- A bug has been fixed where the gamma correction level was being reset to 0.75 each timeDOOM RETRO was loaded, regardless of what it was previously set to.
- A bug has been fixed whereby some users were experiencing jerky mouse movement.
- A flashing HOM (“Hall of Mirrors”) indicator has been implemented. The screen will flash red in place of missing textures, but not when the player has enabled “no clipping mode” using the IDCLIP or IDSPISPOPD cheats.
- When saving a game, the save game description will only be updated to the current map name if it hasn't been changed to something other than map name previously.
( Original Doom may well be required )