Gaz Liddon's Indie Studio Ruffian Games has just announced Hollowpoint for the PS4 and PC an up to 4 player 3D tactical shooter with both 3D and 2D gameplay elements. Slated for release in early 2015, it's already looking like a fun, high pressure, procedurally generated side-scrolling bullet-fest from the makers of Crackdown 2.
While a glitzy PS4 game doesn't sound either Indie or Retro, Ruffian games is exactly that. An independant studio formed from the ashes of various other game studios in 2008, Ruffian was founded and staffed by industry veterans (Billy Thompson coming from DMA and Realtime Worlds, and Gaz known from Zzap!64 and crash magazine, and Climax studios prior to Ruffian) with a long pedigree reaching back into the 8-bit era and including plenty of AAA experience amongst the devs and artists.
Release: early 2015
- Tactical 2.5D Shooter: 2D side scrolling old school platform shooter, blended seamlessly with 3D targeting into the depth of the scene.
- Long Term Progression: Level up your Operatives and your Organization as you complete contracts; specializing them to fit your play style.
- Utilize the 4 Core Types of Operative Ordnance to Defeat the Enemy: Weapons, Equipment, Powerups and Active Abilities.
- 4-Player Online Co-op: Team up through Steam or PSN and take on contracts together.
- Deep Upgrade System: Earn experience to gain Skill Points to Upgrade Operatives; Earn Credits to buy Market Crates and gain Weapons, Equipment, and Powerups.
- Procedural Levels and Dynamic Contracts: Levels are pieced together Room by Room before play, then Objectives are chosen dynamically during play.
Announcement on Playstation Blog
Ruffian's Hollowpoint Game page