I love 4x space strategy games and this looks right on the planetary universe scale, this is StarDrive which is a 4x Action-Space-Strategy game, where the goal is to build a space empire. Now I know we've had a lot of 4x space strategy games in the past and upcoming ones, but a good number of them have dashed my space dreams. But everything about this game could make it a worthy classic, we shall see.
As with most games of this type you Start with a single planet and a small number of space vessels in which to travel the stars. The basic goal of this action space strategy game? Head out into the galaxy, explore new worlds, build new colonies, and discover the StarDrive universe.
But you are not alone in space, you never are. You will come across other alien races, who will either be friendly or possibly be the worst enemy in the known universe. But as with diplomacy, StarDrive give's you rich diplomatic options, allowing you to make and break treaties with alien races; trade technologies and artifacts, sell ships, declare wars, and design joint operations with your allies.
There is even more really nice additions to this game, from tactical combat in which you take over enemy planets, or being able to lead your forces into a great space battle with your own flagship that you control like an arcade shooter. Ease of use comes with the controls of commanding your fleets like you would in a real time strategy game with simple mouse options.
What's more, through ship design , StarDrive takes a module-based approach. This allows the player to create custom ship designs whereby placement and correct thought really matters. A lot of thought has also been put into the combat even after ship design. As the developer states : In combat, if your portside armor is taking a beating, then rotate around and show them the starboard side! Hide behind a friendly capital ship's shields, warp into and out of the fray, launch fighters, lay mines, and so much more.
Away from the combat you'll be dealing with Food, Production, Research, and Money which are the primary resources to gather. Find special resources by exploring planets and anomalies to unlock bonuses, or to unleash terrors. If combat isn't your thing, you can even spend the time to colonize planets, " Hurray " I hear the gamers universe shout. The game also looks to have a really deep research tree with many dozens of new technologies.
This is one game I really want to play and we haven't even listed everything, so check out the features below.
- Customize your Race by selecting from a large list of physical traits, socioeconomic traits, and traits relating to your history and tradition
- Lead your forces into battle with your own flagship that you control like an arcade shooter; command your fleets like you would in a real time strategy game with simple mouse commands
- Tactical ground combat to take over enemy planets
- A deep research tree with many dozens of technologies
- Rich diplomacy options, allowing you to make and break treaties with alien races; trade technologies and artifacts, sell ships, declare wars, and design joint operations with your allies
- Cooperative and Competitive online and LAN multiplayer
- Finally, StarDrive is easy to modify, and modding will be actively supported by the developers
- StarDrive is easy to modify, and modding will be actively supported by the developers
- Design every ship in your empire, or choose from stock configurations
- Create platforms and space stations to deply in deep space
- Carefully plan your ship's power grid, fuel capacity, ammunition storage, thrust, mass, and more
- Organize your ships into fleets and give your ships custom fleet behaviors in an easy to use fleet editor
- Set your weapon facings on turrets, or line up your fixed guns on spinal or broadside mounts
StarDrive System Requirements:
CPU: 1,2 GHz Intel® Pentium® or equivalent AMD®/
RAM: 512 MB RAM (1 GB Recommended for Windows® Vista™)
Video: 64 MB DirectX® 9.0 compatible or better video card
Drive: 4x speed PC-DVD-ROM
Hard Disk Space: 2GB
Sound: DirectX® 8.1 compatible sound card
Other: Mouse, Keyboard and Sound Speaker
A game worthy of interest to have on Indie Retro News and as a special update, the developers have just posted on Facebook, that a few lucky people will be able to join the Closed Beta Team!!
Release date To Be Announced